When it comes to writing content for SEO, optimizing content is essential to achieve a good positioning of that text in the organic results of Google.
There are several technical aspects that you should consider, but the most important thing is that you must write for your users, that is, write for who will read your texts, and do not try in any way to manipulate the rules to excel in front of your competitors.
When you write thinking about robots and not your users, you will be damaging your site in two ways: first, you will be penalized by Google, for trying to take advantage of the algorithm in some way; and then you will be writing content of little value, which will decrease your chances of conversion and loyalty.
Write content for SEO, it is about writing good content and that it is correctly optimized. However, it requires more dedication and above all some strategy.
But do not worry, below we will tell you how to write content for SEO correctly.
But first, remember that it is SEO:
How to write content for SEO
Although currently, the Google algorithm seeks above all authenticity in regard to content published on sites and blogs, continues to use several factors, both internal and external, to determine if one content is more relevant than the other.
Contrary to what many people believe, Google does not care if a certain content is better or worse than another. Google’s job is not to analyze this, but the relevance of that content for the search that the user is doing.
When you type something in your browser, Google looks for the best possible answer. Not necessarily the “best” content comes out, since the meaning of “better” is quite subjective.
What matters to Google is the relevance of that content to the user who made that search.If an article responds to the user’s doubts, then that content is more relevant than another.
Logically, writing good content is not just that. But if we start from the principle that your content does not meet that requirement, then all the rest will be in vain.
Now, more important than a good optimization is that you always think about the user who is doing the search and the content that you are going to deliver for him as an answer to his doubts or problems.
So what should you do? Know how to write content for SEO, since it has certain characteristics that you should know, let’s see what they are:
Writing content for SEO must be totally results-oriented. And, for you to be successful, there is an essential first step: planning. It is at this stage you must determine the title, the keyword, structure, and language of the text. Remember: you must do this, always, with care, studying the strategy of the brand well and using good references for your research. In addition, at this time you must study what will be the best way to share the content on social networks because this is essential for the contact of your audience with the text and the success of your strategy.
Always think of people
One of the elements that most influence when writing content for SEO, is the person of the text. For this, you must define your buyer person.A buyer person is a fictitious representative of the person to whom you direct the text, so it is so important that this content is really relevant and valuable to her.
To be successful in the production of the content, it is necessary to investigate and analyze the problems, desires, challenges and needs of that person.In this way, you will generate content that provides a solution to the problem or clear a doubt of the person. In addition, this will ensure that the content will be useful, that the person will read it and interact with it in some way.
Focus on the evergreen contents
The evergreen content is a trend. It is the most used by companies that invest in digital marketing. Why? It lasts over time, without becoming obsolete, does not expire and provides a value for the user today and also within 1 year.
Unlike the news texts, which talk about momentary issues and that can become disinterested in a few days, the evergreen deals with more complete and lasting information on some issue, seeking to educate the person about it.
When we write content for SEO, an evergreen content is ideal, since it will position your company with authority in the market, in addition, you will generate much more value for your users.
Hyperlinks: the key to interactive reading!
The use of hyperlinks is responsible for transforming the way of writing for SEO. The use of links in the texts generates mobility for the reader, which will be conducted from one text to the other, complementing their reading. To achieve this it is necessary that the links be included strategically.
Now, that you know the main characteristics of writing content for SEO, we will give you some tips so that you will be successful when writing your content.
Tips for writing the text
Do you have a blog but are not getting the results you expected with the content you publish? Investigate the reasons, and analyze if the content you wrote has the necessary characteristics to be successful with your audience.
If not, remember that writing content for SEO must comply with certain rules that can give more prominence to the content you are addressing.
1. Choose what you will write about
Analyze your keywords Although the vast majority of writers, in principle, do not think about it, the reality is that not all keywords are relevant at the level of the search.
If you think about writing an article about how to lose weight fast, for example, did you know that there are dozens of other more interesting keywords to work on than the keyword “how to lose weight fast”?
To know what keywords we use in our articles, we use the KWFinder tool , which is absolutely fantastic and super affordable. With this tool we can understand what are the keywords we really need when writing content for SEO
2. Density of the keyword in the content
It is amazing how 90% of the editors, beginners, believe that using the keyword in 3% of their text will help them instantly to a better positioning in Google. However, things do not work that way.
When the goal is to write content for SEO, keyword density, although relevant, is not the most important. So, more important than the density of the keyword, in the content, is the quality of it.
So when you go to write content for SEO, you must create one that can really help the reader to clarify their doubts about that subject in question. The more you think about taking advantage of the algorithm, the less natural your content will look.
3. Internal links and external links
One of the aspects that the editors neglect most when writing content for SEO are the links (internal and external) within the text. Unfortunately, there are still many people who believe that linking to other sites is removing relevance to their content, when in fact what happens is just the opposite.
When you connect to other sites with relevant content, you will not only be helping your users but also improving the relevance of your content, because it is citing credible sources that will help the reader during the search process on the subject. The internal link is also important. Whenever possible, make between 1 to 3 internal links in your texts. In addition to linking to other relevant subjects on your site/blog, you will be referring these articles to certain keywords.
4. Optimization of text content
When you are going to write content for SEO, evidently, text optimization is very important for Google to understand what is most relevant, but above all so that your reader can consume the content easily. What we usually call reading diagonally. In addition, optimization will help you to structure your text correctly, organizing all the information in a logical way.The use of headings of title, subtitles, lists with points or enumeration, bold, italics, etc., are ways to tell Google what parts of your content are more relevant and what is the hierarchical organization of it.
5. Images in the texts
Using images in texts is done for two reasons: your content will be more friendly, for the reader, facilitating reading and giving greater relevance to certain topics in the text.
Second, because the images are optimized with the title and alternative text, which will allow you to place your keyword also when you optimize your images.
6. Texts big or small?
Although there are no specific studies that say that it is necessary to produce extensive content, there are several analyzes carried out by several experts, which indicate that larger and more relevant texts usually tend to achieve a better positioning in Google.
There are also several indications that Google likes large and complete texts, since it considers that they are more relevant to the answer to the question that the reader asked during his search.
7. Start and finish the article thinking about SEO
If you are going to write SEO content you must think all the time about SEO, this will guarantee you are using the appropriate mechanisms to make your article more visible in search engines such as Google, for example.
Tools that will help you write content for SEO
One of the biggest challenges when writing content to improve SEO is choosing keywords that are compatible with the site and attract qualified traffic to your page.
However, with a lot of planning and help from some tools, you may find the terms that best suit your content marketing strategy.
We are going to share some tools that we use to find the right keywords when you are going to write content for SEO
Google Trends is a tool with which you can identify keywords and queries about a specific term. The google trends tool offers the option to filter the results of searches, for example, you can search by location; city or country of origin. You can also search by type of source: images, Google Shopping, news or YouTube, or if you prefer you can filter the search in a certain period of time. Indefinite, the important thing that you know what your potential clients, or current clients, are investigating on the Internet since this will give you ideas of what keywords you should use to increase the traffic towards your page.
This tool is ideal for searching a specific keyword and identifying the sites that appear in the first google search results, either by organic or paid traffic.
SEMRush also displays a list of keywords related to the term you are researching, giving you more options to insert into your keyword list.
Google Analytics + Google Search Console
If you have a page or a blog for your brand or product, you probably already use the data provided by Google Analytics , to evaluate the performance of your page.
Anyway it is good to know that in addition to all the features available in Analytics, you can integrate with Google Search Console to identify the words that can generate more traffic to your page.
What should you do? Well, go to Google Search Console, select the “Search” menu and then select “Search Analytics”. This way, you will know if the keyword, or the keywords, that you are trying to position is the right one to attract traffic to your site.
Google Search Console will show you the geolocation of the main queries and through which device (mobile, PC, tablet) were made. This information will help you optimize your content strategy and search for keywords with which you can attract truly qualified traffic to your site or website.
Keyword Planner is a Google Adwords tool used to find keywords.
How is it used? You just have to enter the keywords related to your content. The tool will show you a series of keywords that you can use in your content strategy, as long as this word is relevant to your audience.
Google search bar
The Google search bar is another tool that will help you analyze your keywords.
When you enter a word in the Google search bar, the autocomplete search function will show you a list of search suggestions that are related to the keyword you used, which can provide great keyword ideas to attract your target audience.
Now, it is important that you clear your browser’s cache. Otherwise, Google will use the search pattern that is stored on your PC.
MOZ has a tool with which you can analyze your keyword: Keyword Explorer
To use the tool you just have to enter your keyword in the search bar and you will know, among other things:
- The level of difficulty you will have to be able to rank the word you are looking for;
- the number of times that word has been searched and;
- the pages that have already searched for that term.
Checklist before publishing the post
SEO content has so many elements that it’s really easy to forget, right? To help you succeed when writing content for SEO, we leave you a Checklist , which you can consult whenever you want.
If you guess at least most of the items on the list, you can be sure that you will be successful with your content.
These are the questions you should ask yourself when you are going to write a title:
- Would someone write my title on Google? If the answer is affirmative, it is very likely that you will get more search traffic.
- Does my title arouse curiosity? This type of title trend to get more clicks.
- Is my title short and direct to the point? The title should have approximately 57 characters so that it appears full on the Google results page.
- Is my title clear? This is very important. If the readers do not know what they are clicking, they will leave your site.
- Am I using the emotions? Try to invoke a wish within your title, you will reach more people.
- Does my title contain some popular words or phrases? If this is not the case, do not expect any location on Google.
Each article must contain an introduction. These are the questions you should ask yourself when writing it:
- Am I going to join my readers? You can achieve this with a question in your introductory paragraph.
- Is it concise? 3 paragraphs will usually be enough.
- Does it provide a detailed overview? When your readers read the introduction, they should know if the content is a good option for them.
- Can I include an image? Include an image, or a video, to encourage readers to click.
When writing content for SEO, be sure to ask yourself:
- Have I used subtitles? Make it easier for your readers to read and explore your content.
- Do my paragraphs have less than 5 lines? Paragraphs must not have more than 5 lines.
- Am I creating a conversation? You must use the words “you” and “me” within your content. This will create the illusion of a conversation.
- Do I italicize my questions? This will make your content look more personalized.
- Am I telling a story? Your readers will get bored, unless you keep them connected, to avoid this you must tell a story.
- Am I using media to improve my content? The images, videos and audio will help you to personalize your brand.
- Is my content concise? Do not write nonsense, nobody will want to read them.
- Am I trying to look smart? Using beautiful words and talking low with your readers are great ways to lose them.
- Is it related to any current event? Use Google and Yahoo News to identify trends that will help you generate content that will attract more traffic.
- What emotion am I going through? Your content should appeal to certain emotions such as humor or anger. Choose one or some of them and use them throughout your content. The goal is to take your readers through an emotional roller coaster; as in the novels.
- Am I using links? Use links, always, to other sites, when appropriate. In this way, you can send these links when you publish your content and ask them to share in their social profiles.
When you finish writing content for SEO, ask yourself:
- Did I finish my post with a question? This is a way to generate more comments. Also, place the question in italics.
- Have I been able to summarize my post within 3 short paragraphs? A summary should be short and direct to the point and provide the essence of your post.
- Does my summary have less than 200 words? Ideally, your summary of having around 100 to 150 words.
- Do you leave things open? Your content should not be read as a final verdict on a topic. Instead, invite your readers to participate and contribute more on the subject.
- Does my conclusion encourage people to read my content? Some people read the conclusion before reading the content. If it is seductive, move up to read the rest.
When you are going to write content for SEO, you must have the ability to select the titles and the correct keywords that attract traffic to your site. Of course, you must take care of grammar and spelling.
In addition, you must take advantage of the benefits that the tools that we mentioned in the article give you so that you can be successful in writing your content.
Do not write trying to take advantage of SEO to manipulate the system, Google will understand and penalize you and the worst your readers will also notice and discard your content.
Writing SEO content requires that you incorporate a series of elements into the text, which can easily be forgotten. But with the checklist that we share with you, in this article, this will not happen to you.