What is the authority of a domain?
Authority is a relative term to know the importance of a blog or an internet site that has its own domain name. Therefore it is impossible to try to know the one of a blog that uses a free service of WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr or other services of publication.Authority is relative because there is no exact method to know the importance of a domain.
There is no service that can offer that information.
Of all the existing services on the Internet who could catalog the most accurate information is the Google search engine due to its constant tracking for its operation.
Google reserves this information.
In the past, Page Rank was used, but over time it has become obsolete and is currently not updated.However, there are alternative services that use their own index to catalog the authority and importance of internet sites.
How is the authority of a domain estimated?
To catalog the authority of any internet site the following indicators are used:
- – Age of the domain
- – Number of external links or backlinks (Inbound Links)
- – Number of Dofollow and Nofollow links
- – Quality and authority of these links
- – Types of reference domains (GOV, EDU, COM, NET, ORG, etc.)
- – Number of reference domains of the links
- – Number of IP addresses of the reference Subnets and links
Services to know the authority of an internet domain
There are three main internet services that catalog the authority of any domain.In addition to providing other services, they allow you to check the authority of any website that uses your own domain name.We can use them to verify the authority of ours, another site that interests us or that we want to know how it is valued.
Moz domain authority
- The most well-known of the values to establish the authority of the sites analyzing the links from other internet sites and the importance of each one is the DA (domain authority) of Moz.
- Moz formerly called DMoz is a very prestigious web analytics service.
- It has its own robot that scans the sites in search of information to know the main metrics.
- It is a paid service, but with a free limited option that offers the elementary information of any site.
- It’s the Open Site Explorer tool.
- The following screenshot shows an example of what Open Site Explorer indicates about the domain of this website.
- Moz also provides a metric to know the importance of any internet page called the “mozRank”.
Domain Rank of Ahrefs
The popular SEO analytics service Ahrefs uses its own ranking that is established by analyzing the number of backlinks on a site and its popularity.
- By using the Site Explorer tool you can analyze any domain and get your Ahrefs Domain Rank.
- It’s a number between 1 and 100.
- ✓ A Rank from 1 to 30 indicates a domain that is not popular.
- ✓ A Rank between 31 and 70 is the average.
- ✓ A rank higher than 71 indicates a very popular domain.
- Similarly, the service uses URL Rank for any web page independently.
- The Ahrefs service is paid, but the analysis of the Rank of any domain can be done using the free option.
- The free report also includes several useful metrics, such as the number of backlinks, the type of referring domains.
Also graphs that help to understand the evolution of the domain in the course of a year and a map with the geographical distribution of the domains that link.
Majestic Trust Flow
- The third tool we recommend is Majestic’s Site, Explorer
- Analyze any domain or URL and return two metrics, the Trust Flow, and the Citation Flow.
- Trust Flow is one of Majestic Flow Metrics and indicates the number of clicks from a set of trusted sites to access a given URL or domain.
- Citation Flow indicates the number of mentions made from a given URL or domain.